Sunday, December 14, 2014

Mathnet, Frankly: Joe Howard Answers Eight Eighties Questions.

Joe Howard
Today our Eight Eighties Questions interviewee is Joe Howard, who is probably best remembered by most 1980s kids as mathematician George Frankly from Mathnet, a segment of SquareOne Television.  Many of you will remember George Frankly working with his partner, Kate Monday, as they hunted down criminals using math, logic, and the calculators they carried in their holsters.  In addition to his work on Mathnet, Joe has made many appearances on the big and small screen in his long career, including Mork and Mindy, The Mighty Ducks, Grumpy Old Men, Frasier, House of Sand and Fog, The West Wing, The Mentalist, and Jersey Boys.

Joe was kind enough to answer these questions so that we could enjoy a behind-the-scenes glimpse of life on the set of Mathnet.  

1.  George Frankly was the only character on Mathnet to appear in every single episode.  What was it like playing that role?  

It was an enormous amount of fun. I loved the people I was working with. I wish I could have played the role for many more years than I did.

2.  How much of your personality did you infuse into the lovable George Frankly? 

Joe Howard and Beverly Leech
I always felt George was just an exaggerated version of myself, so there was lots of me in him. It required zero preparation to get into character.

3.  James Earl Jones played your boss, Thad Green, on a few episodes.  What was it like working with him?

I really liked James. I wish we could have spent more time together. What a nice man. I expected to be blown away by the voice of Darth Vader when I met him, but he was very soft spoken…a really lovely gentleman.

4.  What is your favorite memory of working on Mathnet?

Probably working on the "Case of the Mystery Weekend." That old mansion we shot in was a fun location. We had some great guest stars on that show, including Nick Wyman, whom I had done a show with back in 1975 (and who is now the president of the actors stage union (Actors Equity Association) and Stephen Marcus.

5.  Did you have any idea when you were filming Mathnet that the show would end up with the type of loyal following that continues to this day?

I figured that something from the people who made SESAME STREET would make an enduring mark, so I am not surprised.

6.  Your son Jeremy is also an actor.  What’s it like having him follow your footsteps into the world of acting?

I'm very pleased about it. He has hooked into the business at a higher level than I, and parents like to see their kids do better than they did.

7.  What projects are you currently working on?

I am constantly workshopping material that I have written and perform in showcases for casting directors to see my work. The performing I do with that is more interesting than the jobs I get paid for. I am in the fortunate position where I don't have to work anymore with my actor pensions and Social Security coming in. The last project I worked on was an indie film called AMERICAN BRED, a movie about the Detroit Mafia. I played a priest in it, as I have many times in the past (as in JERSEY BOYS).

8.  What piece of life advice would you like to share?

Listen to your intuition. It will guide you as to what you need to do to have a fulfilling life. Everyone's has to lead their own life, and no one is better than you in determining the way to go. By all means listen to guidance from those whom you trust may know more than you and heed that which feels right. Know that desire for fame, money, stature, power is not coming from your intuition, and following that kind of desire will not serve you. You will feel frustrated if you don't fulfill those desires, and satisfying those desires for their own sake will disappoint you in the long run. Determine your real needs and what you need to do to satisfy them.

Our last interview featured Beverly Leech who played Kate Monday, you can read her interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment